Months ago, in my first post about prayer, I spoke to the difficulty of praying while experiencing great pain. In Praying Through the Pain I wrote:
I am thankful that before Dominic died I had a habit of praying and reading Scripture. I am thankful for the many verses that are so ingrained in my thoughts that they come, unbidden to my mind.
So I have continued to pray each morning, opening my journal and my Bible.
Even when I cannot feel the connection, I know God is there.
Today’s post is the final in a short series where I am sharing the prayers I still find easy to pray even after burying a child.
If you comb through the New Testament looking for prayers, you find that they don’t look like the ones we hear most often in church-most New Testament prayers focused on expanding a believer’s knowledge of who they are in Christ and Who Jesus is to them.
Based on Scripture, I can ask in faith, speaking God’s words back to Him.
THESE are prayers I can still pray, I hope they are helpful for others in similar circumstances.
II Thessalonians 1: 11-12
God, I pray
- that You will count____worthy of Your calling,
- that by Your power You may fulfill every good purpose in ___’s life and every act prommpted by their faith.
- I pray this so that the name of our Lord may be glorified in ___and they in You, acccording to Your grace.
I Thessalonian 1:2-9
I always thank You, Father, for ___, as I bring them to You in prayer,
Continue to stir up in them
- work produced by faith,
- labor prompted by love, and
- endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Cause ____to know that they are loved by You and especially chosen of You.
Cause the gospel to take root in their lives and go forth from them
- not in words only,
- but also with power,
- with the Holy Spirit, and
- with deep conviction.
- to keep their eyes on the Lord Jesus and become imitators of Him,
- to have joy as only the Holy Spirit can given, and
- to model Christ with their lives to a wathcing world, that their faith in You might become known to the ends of the earth.
Keep ____actively serving only You, the living and true God. Keep ___’s heart turned to You so that they will recognize the snare of idols and conciously choose to have noting in their lives that rivals You.